Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
To retain crisp texture, stir in vegetables during the last part of cooking.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup carrot, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup celery, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 lb fresh white mushroom, sliced
- In a large skillet brown beef and onion stirring occasionally until crumbly.
- Drain off fat.
- Put beef and onion into crock pot.
- Stir in rice mix including dry seasoning packet, water and 4 TBS of soy sauce.
- Cover and cook on high setting 2 hours.
- Stir in vegetables and mushrooms.
- cover and continue cooking on high about 30 minutes longer or until rice is tender and vegetables are crisp tender.
- Stir in remaining 1 TBS soy sauce and serve at once.
- Note: For more pronounce Asian flavor, stir in another tablespoon soy sauce before serving.
My DH said to make this again. It was just good for me. I added more water because it seemed like my rice was burning on the bottom (1/3 cup or more, winged it on this). I also decreased the amount of soy sauce per the recommendations. I would recommend this as well. Less is more! You can put "your" amount in the end. My veggies were not done within 30 minutes. I had to cook them for about an hour. (I cut my cabbage small, chopped baby carrots in 3 pieces) I also added canned bean sprouts.
We enjoyed this very much.We doubled the recipe and were glad we did.I used my food proccesor for slicing all veggies thin and to shredd our savoy cabbage we picked from our garden.I only added 4 tbs of soy sauce to the double batch hubby was watching and said enough as to not make it salty.Every one likes a diffenent amount of soy sauce I would suggest they taste it after cooking and add more at the end of cooking if they desired.We thought this was very tasty and we will make this again.
Very Tasty, just about 1 Tbsp too soy sauce-y. Thanks Bev!