Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was rich and delicious. I originally got this out of a Jan/Feb 1991 issue of Eating Well magazine. It is still rich, but a lot healthier than many similar versions. I admit to sometimes skipping the toasting of the nuts part, it is delicious with toasted nuts, but also delicious if you just add them plain.
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 F and have ready two lightly sprayed loaf pans.
- Spread nuts in a pie plate and bake about 4-5 minutes, or until they just start to toast.watch these like a hawk or you might burn them.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix together eggs, sugar, applesauce, oil,melted chocolate, and vanilla in another bowl.
- Combine both mixtures using a wooden spoon, just to moisten all the ingredients.
- Stir in the zucchini and the nuts.
- Bake loaves for about 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick tests done.
- Cool in pans on a rack.