1 hr 15 mins
Kat's Mom's Note:
I no longer can buy Nabisco Famous Wafers in my area. I searched and found these on the King Arthur website. Stack the cookies, sandwiched between the optional filling, in the refrigerator overnight and they turn into a delicious cake-like dessert. These cookies will also make a good pie crust (see Mrs. Rowe's Chocolate Cookie Crust).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup black cocoa
- 1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets, or more if you have them; you'll make 3 to 4 baking sheets' worth of cookies.
- 2In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the sugar, butter, salt, baking powder, and espresso powder.
- 3Beat in the egg and vanilla, then the flour and cocoa.
- 4Cover the dough, and chill for 30 minutes.
- 5While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 350°F
- 6Roll the dough about 1/8" thick; use cocoa instead of flour to dust your rolling board and the dough.
- 7Cut into 2 1/2"-round cookies. A biscuit cutter is handy for this.
- 8Bake the cookies for 10 minutes. Watch them closely at the end of the baking time, and if you start to smell chocolate before 10 minutes has gone by, take them out.
- 9When they're done, remove the cookies from the oven, and allow them to cool completely.
- 10FILLING: Whisk together the heavy cream and other ingredients. When blended, whip until the cream holds a soft peak.
- 11ASSEMBLY: Place one cookie on a small plate. Put about a tablespoon of whipped cream on top; our teaspoon cookie scoop, heaped up, works well here.
- 12Top with a second cookie, using it to compress the whipped cream to about a 1/4"-thick layer.
- 13Repeat with 4 more cookies, finishing with a layer of whipped cream.
- 14Refrigerate from 4 to 24 hours before serving.
- 15OTHER FLAVORING OPTIONS: To flavor 1 cup of cream, add one of the following combinations: *2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar + 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract; *2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar + 1/8 teaspoon coconut flavor; *2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar + 1/8 teaspoon peppermint oil; *1 tablespoon granulated sugar + 1 tablespoon Dutch processed cocoa + 1 teaspoon espresso powder.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Wafer Cookie Dessert (Famous Wafers Copycat)
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 531.8
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.5 g
- Cholesterol 138.4 mg
- Sodium 275.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 28.4 g
- Protein 5.8 g