Original 'nilla Banana Pudding
photo by hello.twobites
- Ready In:
- MIX 1/2 cup of the sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler.
- Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk.
- Cook, uncovered, over boiling water 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- RESERVE 10 of the wafers for garnish.
- Spread small amount of custard on bottom of 1-1/2-quart baking dish; cover with layers of 1/3 each of the remaining wafers and sliced bananas.
- Pour about 1/3 of the remaining custard over bananas.
- Continue to layer wafers, bananas and custard to make a total of 3 layers of each, ending with custard.
- BEAT egg whites on high speed of electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff but not dry.
- Spoon over custard; spread evenly to cover entire surface of custard and sealing well to edge.
- BAKE at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly or refrigerate several hours until chilled.
- Top with reserved wafers just before serving.
- Garnish with additional banana slices, if desired.