1/2 Photos of Chocolate Sugar Cookies
I modified my absolute favorite sugar cookie recipe from my Great, Great, Great Grandma Shadduck, since I couldn't find a chocolate sugar cookie recipe that sounded just right. These cookies are so moist and have just the right amount of chocolate flavor. Like their sister recipe, they remain fresh-tasting for two weeks after baking, where a lot of sugar cookie recipes I've tried turn crunchy and brittle after a day or two. Please note that in the ingredients, the amount of flour may be a bit off. You may need to use more or less flour than indicated for desired consistency. Much of the time, my family doesn't use measurements. Grandma Shadduck advised on the recipe card, "Use enough flour to make dough stiff enough to roll out well, and roll them out thick to keep cookies soft." Give these a try. They're delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F
- 2In a large mixing bowl, cream together shortening, sugar and eggs.
- 3Stir in milk and vanilla.
- 4Stir in baking powder, baking soda, salt and corn syrup.
- 5Stir in baking cocoa.
- 6Add enough flour (a little at a time) to make dough stiff enough to roll out well.
- 7On a generously floured work surface, roll out dough with a lightly floured rolling pin to 1/2-inch thickness. With flour-dipped cookie cutters, cut into desired shapes.
- 8Place cookies on a lightly greased cookie pan spaced two inches apart.
- 9Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops of cookies are no longer shiny, and bottoms are lightly browned.
- 10Decorate with icing of your preference (if desired) and store in an air-tight container.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (968 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 145.5
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 8.4 mg
- Sodium 98.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 2.2 g