We made this for Rosh Hashonah this year. It is a wonderful and very pretty chocolate roulade. This recipe is also wheat-free(uses potato flour), so it is suitable for coeliacs. Diana's Desserts, have had this since 2006 and I felt that, this, was the dessert for the High Holy Days. It was scrumptious and decadent!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup baker's superfine sugar or 1/2 cup baker's caster sugar
- 1/4 cup dutch process cocoa, plus extra
- dutch process cocoa, for dusting
- 2 tablespoons potato flour (potato starch)
- 4 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup raspberry preserves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raspberry brandy (Framboise)
- 10 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 ounces pistachios, lightly roasted, coarsely chopped
- 2Preheat oven to 350º F/180ºC.
- 3Line a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan (swiss roll tin) with parchment paper.
- 4Using an electric mixer, whisk yolks and sugar until thick and pale.
- 5Sift cocoa and starch over then fold in gently.
- 6Add chocolate and 2 tablespoons water and stir gently to combine.
- 7Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form, then fold into chocolate mixture.
- 8Spoon mixture into prepared pan and smooth top.
- 9Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- 10Dust top of cake heavily with cocoa then cover with a piece of parchment paper.
- 11Invert cake, with paper, on to a work surface, then gently peel away the parchment paper.
- 12Working quickly while cake is still hot, gently roll up from long side, using paper as a guide.
- 13Let cool completely before filling.
- 14MASCARPONE FILLING:.
- 15Combine marmalade, liqueur and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan and stir over low-medium heat until combined and marmalade has melted.
- 16Combine with mascarpone in a bowl and whisk until thick.
- 17Stir in pistachios.
- 18Gently unroll cake and spread with filling, leaving a half inch (2 cm) border.
- 19Re-roll cake (it may crack a little), then wrap in foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until filling is firm.
- 20Cake will keep, refrigerated, for up to 3 days.
- 21Serve topped with raspberries, edible flowers or mint sprigs.
- 22*The cream filling may be made without the marmalade and pistachio's. If desired, you may make a cream filling with just the mascarpone cheese and orange liqueur.
- 24Grease the jelly roll pan before lining it. This will make the paper sit flat and adhere to the corners.
- 25To fold egg whites into a batter, always use a large metal spoon and a light hand to preserve the air. Start by stirring 1/4 of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it, then gently fold in remaining egg white.
- 26Potato flour (potato starch) is available at most supermarkets in the baking or flour section.
- 27For the best flavor, use a dark chocolate with at least 60 % cocoa solids.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Roulade With Mascarpone Filling
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.5
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 158.6 mg
- Sodium 61.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 18.4 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: