Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
We made this for Rosh Hashonah this year. It is a wonderful and very pretty chocolate roulade. This recipe is also wheat-free(uses potato flour), so it is suitable for coeliacs. Diana's Desserts, have had this since 2006 and I felt that, this, was the dessert for the High Holy Days. It was scrumptious and decadent!
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup baker's superfine sugar or 1⁄2 cup baker's caster sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dutch process cocoa, plus extra
- dutch process cocoa, for dusting
- 2 tablespoons potato flour (potato starch)
- 4 1⁄2 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry preserves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons raspberry brandy (Framboise)
- 10 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 ounces pistachios, lightly roasted, coarsely chopped
- raspberries (optional) or fresh edible flower (optional)
- mint sprig (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F/180ºC.
- Line a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan (swiss roll tin) with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk yolks and sugar until thick and pale.
- Sift cocoa and starch over then fold in gently.
- Add chocolate and 2 tablespoons water and stir gently to combine.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form, then fold into chocolate mixture.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- Dust top of cake heavily with cocoa then cover with a piece of parchment paper.
- Invert cake, with paper, on to a work surface, then gently peel away the parchment paper.
- Working quickly while cake is still hot, gently roll up from long side, using paper as a guide.
- Let cool completely before filling.
- MASCARPONE FILLING:.
- Combine marmalade, liqueur and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan and stir over low-medium heat until combined and marmalade has melted.
- Combine with mascarpone in a bowl and whisk until thick.
- Stir in pistachios.
- Gently unroll cake and spread with filling, leaving a half inch (2 cm) border.
- Re-roll cake (it may crack a little), then wrap in foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until filling is firm.
- Cake will keep, refrigerated, for up to 3 days.
- Serve topped with raspberries, edible flowers or mint sprigs.
- *The cream filling may be made without the marmalade and pistachio's. If desired, you may make a cream filling with just the mascarpone cheese and orange liqueur.
- Grease the jelly roll pan before lining it. This will make the paper sit flat and adhere to the corners.
- To fold egg whites into a batter, always use a large metal spoon and a light hand to preserve the air. Start by stirring 1/4 of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it, then gently fold in remaining egg white.
- Potato flour (potato starch) is available at most supermarkets in the baking or flour section.
- For the best flavor, use a dark chocolate with at least 60 % cocoa solids.