This is an easy but impressive dessert for any special occasion. Begin making this one day in advance. For best results, use a rich, premium ice cream, as it will freeze firmly. Cook time reflects overnight freezing time.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened) or 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (not unsweetened)
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) package chocolate wafer cookies (about 61 cookies)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 7 cups premium vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups coarsely crushed red and white striped hard peppermint candies (about 10 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- red and white striped hard peppermint candy (whole or broken into pieces)
- For crust, melt butter with chocolate in heavy small saucepan over low heat.
- Finely grind cookies in processor.
- Add warm chocolate mixture; blend until crumbs are just moistened.
- Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture in small bowl.
- Press remaining crumb mixture onto sides, then bottom of 9 inch springform pan with 2 3/4 inch sides.
- For Glaze, bring cream and corn syrup to boil in heavy large saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate; whisk until melted and smooth.
- Let stand until cool but still pourable, about 1 hour.
- For filling, working quickly, mix ice cream, 1 3/4 cups crushed candies, and extract in large bowl, until just blended.
- Spoon half of ice cream into crust; spread evenly. (Place remaining ice cream mixture in bowl in freezer).
- Sprinkle reserved 1 cup cookie crumbs over ice cream in pan; press gently.
- Pour 1 cup chocolate glaze over ice cream in pan.
- Freeze 1 hour.
- Top with remaining ice cream; spread evenly.
- Freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- Stir remaining glaze over low heat just until pourable, but not warm.
- Pour over ice cream.
- Spread evenly.
- Freeze overnight.
- Run sharp knife between crust and pan sides to loosen cake.
- Release pan sides.
- Transfer cake to platter.
- Garnish with peppermint candies and serve.