1/2 Photos of Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream Cake
This is an easy but impressive dessert for any special occasion. Begin making this one day in advance. For best results, use a rich, premium ice cream, as it will freeze firmly. Cook time reflects overnight freezing time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened) or 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (not unsweetened)
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) package chocolate wafer cookies (about 61 cookies)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 7 cups premium vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 1 1/4 cups coarsely crushed red and white striped hard peppermint candies (about 10 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- red and white striped hard peppermint candy (whole or broken into pieces)
- 1For crust, melt butter with chocolate in heavy small saucepan over low heat.
- 2Finely grind cookies in processor.
- 3Add warm chocolate mixture; blend until crumbs are just moistened.
- 4Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture in small bowl.
- 5Press remaining crumb mixture onto sides, then bottom of 9 inch springform pan with 2 3/4 inch sides.
- 7For Glaze, bring cream and corn syrup to boil in heavy large saucepan.
- 8Remove from heat.
- 9Add chocolate; whisk until melted and smooth.
- 10Let stand until cool but still pourable, about 1 hour.
- 11For filling, working quickly, mix ice cream, 1 3/4 cups crushed candies, and extract in large bowl, until just blended.
- 12Spoon half of ice cream into crust; spread evenly. (Place remaining ice cream mixture in bowl in freezer).
- 13Sprinkle reserved 1 cup cookie crumbs over ice cream in pan; press gently.
- 14Pour 1 cup chocolate glaze over ice cream in pan.
- 15Freeze 1 hour.
- 16Top with remaining ice cream; spread evenly.
- 17Freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- 18Stir remaining glaze over low heat just until pourable, but not warm.
- 19Pour over ice cream.
- 20Spread evenly.
- 21Freeze overnight.
- 22Run sharp knife between crust and pan sides to loosen cake.
- 23Release pan sides.
- 24Transfer cake to platter.
- 25Garnish with peppermint candies and serve.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.0
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 71.5 mg
- Sodium 261.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 29.2 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: