Peppermint Ice Cream (Ice Cream Maker)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This ice cream would be great in the summer as well as dessert for a winter holiday. Cooking time is the approximate time it takes in my ice cream machine -- yours may differ.
- Ready In:
- In a bowl, stir the cream and sugar together until the sugar dissolves. Add the vanilla and stir to combine.
- Set aside for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, to allow the flavors to blend.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours or up to 8 hours.
- In a food processor, grind the peppermint candies by pulsing 2 or 3 times. Some of the candies will be more finely ground than others; small chunks of candy will add texture and interest to the final ice cream.
- Pour the cream mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- When nearly frozen and the consistency of thick whipped cream, add the ground peppermint candies. Churn or stir just until mixed.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container.
- Cover and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours or up to 3 days, before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I found this recipe in a Williams-Sonoma cookbook. While the peppermint flavor and the tiny chunks of candy are perfect, I didn't like the consistency that came with using only heavy cream--it ended up tasting like frozen peppermint whipped cream. So saying, I think a dollop of this would be delicious in coffee, but I don't care for it as ice cream.Reply