Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Make and share this Chocolate Mousse Cake - Amaretto Saronno recipe from Food.com.
- 6 ounces real semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 18 whole blanched almonds
- 1⁄2 cup amaretto di saronno liqueur
- 1⁄2 ounce unflavored gelatin (2-Knox)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 2 (6 ounce) packages ladyfingers, split
- Melt chocolate in double boiler. Dip botton half of almonds into chocolate. Place on wax paper to cool.
- Gradually stir amaretto into remaining chocolate. Set aside.
- In sauce pan, combine gelatin and water.
- Stir in egg yolks, sugar and milk. Stir over low ehat until mixture thickens slightly and coats a metal spoon. Chill until mixture mounds.
- Fold in egg whites. Remove 1 cup of the whipped cream and set aside for decorating.
- Fold remaining cream mixture into chocolate mixture. Chill until mixture mounds.
- Line the bottom and sides of an ungreased 9 inch spring form pan with ladyfingers. Pour in chocolate mixture. Chill until firm.
- When ready to serve, remove sides of pan and pipe rosettes of reserved cream around outter edge of cake. Press chocolate almonds into each rosette. Chill until ready to serve.
This is a gorgeous cake. I have made it 3 times. The first I cooked the custard one second too long!! But that's ok-- it's how we learn. This cake certainly tells the recipient that they are loved. Enjoy the fruits of your labor. Just remember not to rush this!!