Recipe by TLT
Top Review by tsickler1
This is a gorgeous cake. I have made it 3 times. The first I cooked the custard one second too long!! But that's ok-- it's how we learn. This cake certainly tells the recipient that they are loved. Enjoy the fruits of your labor. Just remember not to rush this!!
- 6 ounces real semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 18 whole blanched almonds
- 1⁄2 cup amaretto di saronno liqueur
- 1⁄2 ounce unflavored gelatin (2-Knox)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 2 (6 ounce) packages ladyfingers, split
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt chocolate in double boiler. Dip botton half of almonds into chocolate. Place on wax paper to cool.
- Gradually stir amaretto into remaining chocolate. Set aside.
- In sauce pan, combine gelatin and water.
- Stir in egg yolks, sugar and milk. Stir over low ehat until mixture thickens slightly and coats a metal spoon. Chill until mixture mounds.
- Fold in egg whites. Remove 1 cup of the whipped cream and set aside for decorating.
- Fold remaining cream mixture into chocolate mixture. Chill until mixture mounds.
- Line the bottom and sides of an ungreased 9 inch spring form pan with ladyfingers. Pour in chocolate mixture. Chill until firm.
- When ready to serve, remove sides of pan and pipe rosettes of reserved cream around outter edge of cake. Press chocolate almonds into each rosette. Chill until ready to serve.