Chocolate Mousse Cake
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cold sweet butter
- 4 eggs, at room temperature,separated yolks lightly beaten white whipped to form soft peaks
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped to form soft peaks
- raspberries or blackberry (or mix)
- fresh whipped cream
- Grease 9-inch springform pan line with parchment paper grease and flour paper.
- Stir water, sugar, corn syrup and flour in heavy saucepan.
- Cook on low heat until sugar is dissolved, stirring constantly.
- Add chocolate, vanilla and salt.
- Continue cooking until chocolate is completely melted stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter; stir until melted.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- Refrigerate 15 minutes or until mixture has somewhat cooled, stirring occasionally.
- Add egg yolks to chocolate mixture; stir with wire whisk until well blended.
- Gentle fold in egg whites.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Spoon into prepared pan.
- Place pan in larger baking pan, then place on center rack in oven.
- Carefully pour boiling water into larger pan to come halfway up side of springform pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes or until mixture is just set.
- Run small knife or metal spatula around rim of pan to loosen cake; cool before removing rim of pan.
- Cover top with plastic wrap; refrigerate 4 hours to overnight.
- Center will fall. A prefect bowl for berries!
- Garnish with fresh berries and whipped cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My family loves this cake especially with homemade whipped cream. Over the last few years I've made many variations with different fruit, and even without fruit. It's simply delicious. Watch out though it might put you in a diabetic coma. ;) My son requested this for his birthday tomorrow. If you've put off trying this recipe, stop, it's one of the best, if not the best cake I've ever made.