1/2 Photos of Chocolate Meringue Cake
Oh my gosh, this cake takes time, effort and energy, but the results are WELL worth it and it is actually easier than it looks. This is a beautiful cake and everyone RAVES over it. You can make the cake layers ahead of time and freeze them for up to a month (thaw them at room tem before assembling the cake). The meringues can be baked a day ahead of time and store in tins. The cream cheese filling can be prepared a day ahead of time and refrigerated.
My Private Note
3 layer ...
Units: US | Metric
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 236.59 ml butter, softened
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract (or you can use almond(I've tried both)
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml dutch process cocoa
- 158.51 ml pecans, finely chopped
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 226.79 g package cream cheese, softened
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 2.46 ml almond extract
- 709.77 ml sifted powdered sugar
- 177.44 ml whipping cream
- 680.38 g semisweet baking chocolate, finely chopped (Ghirdelli)
- 1FOR CAKE:.
- 2Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; set aside.
- 3In a separate bowl, beat butter at medium speed until creamy.
- 4Add sugar and beat well.
- 5Add egg yolks, one at a time and beat until well blended after each addition.
- 6In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk and 2 teaspoons flavoring.
- 7In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and cocoa. Add the dry mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk mixture; beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat at low speed after each addition until well blended.
- 8Stir in the pecans and mix well.
- 9Fold in the beaten egg whites and pour the batter into 3 well greased 9 inch cake pans.
- 10Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- 11Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove cake to wire racks to cool completely.
- 12CREAM CHEESE FILLING:.
- 13Beat the first four ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- 14Once the cake cools completely, spread this filling between the layers.
- 16Bring whipping cream to a simmer in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- 17Remove from heat and add chocolate, stirring until the chocolate is melted.
- 18Cool until ganache becomes a spreading consistency (stirring often).
- 19Frost the top and sides of the cake with ganache reserving 1/2 cup.
- 21Beat the egg whites, vinegar and salt at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy.
- 22Gradually add sugar; beating until soft peaks form and sugar dissolves.
- 23Fold in chocolate.
- 24Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper lined baking sheets and bake at 250°F for 35 minutes.
- 25Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- 26Once cool, mound meringues on top of cake to form a small mountain, beginning at the sides and working in, layering 3-4 layers high. Drizzle the meringues with the remaining ganache.
- 27TO SERVE THE CAKE:.
- 28Before cutting, remove the meringues with small tongs and use them as a garnish on each cake serving.
- 29TO STORE:.
- 30IF you have any cake left, store it in the refrigerator without the meringues. Store the meringues in an airtight container at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Meringue Cake
Serving Size: 1 (3390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 13213.2
- Calories from Fat 6707
- Total Fat 745.2 g
- Saturated Fat 422.6 g
- Cholesterol 2293.4 mg
- Sodium 3811.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1646.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 69.3 g
- Sugars 1305.3 g
- Protein 146.9 g