Strawberry Meringue Cake
This is just an awesome dessert.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups orange juice
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, divided
- In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, orange juice, egg yolks and orange peel.
- Beat on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-inch round baking pans; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium until foamy.
- Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread the meringue even over both pans of cake batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.
- Cool in pans on wire racks (meringue will crack).
- Beat the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Mash 1/2 cup of strawberries with remaining sugar; fold into whipped cream.
- Loosen edges of cakes from pans with a knife.
- Using two large spatulas, carefully remove one cake to a serving platter, meringue side up.
- Carefully spread with about two-thirds of the cream mixture.
- Slice the remaining berries; arrange half over cream mixture.
- Repeat layers.
- Store in the refrigerator.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Holy Toledo, was this ever good. Followed the directions exactly, but think I should have done as Sarah Chana suggested and made it into two separate cakes. Also, I had the meringue overflow the pans. I went to the very edge with it, and think I should have gone within 1/4" of the rim. That's one reason my photo isn't as pretty as I had hoped. Nevertheless, an outstanding recipe. Thnx for sharing it, pines506Reply