Recipe by Shar-on
I bought this recipe book "Over 300 Delicious Ways to Use Your Bundt Pans" many years ago at Eatons. Its wonderful, all the great recipes for bundt pans. This is one I enjoyed making.
Top Review by Ginger Rose
I made this as a birthday cake and it was just right as the macaroon made it more festive than a normal chocolate cake. I did as suggested by some reviews and put the coconut filling in the middle, but it rose to the top anyway!
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk (reserve 1 white for filling)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Filling: In small bowl, beat egg white until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- By hand, stir in coconut, flour and vanilla, blending well.
- Set aside.
- Cake: In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients, blending at low speed until moistened.
- Beat 3 minutes at medium speed and then pour batter into greased and flour 12 cup Bundt Pan.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of coconut filling over the chocolate batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 55-65 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool 10-15 minutes in pan, then turn out onto serving plate or rack to cool completely.
- Top with vanilla or chocolate glaze.