Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
I bought this recipe book "Over 300 Delicious Ways to Use Your Bundt Pans" many years ago at Eatons. Its wonderful, all the great recipes for bundt pans. This is one I enjoyed making.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk (reserve 1 white for filling)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Filling: In small bowl, beat egg white until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- By hand, stir in coconut, flour and vanilla, blending well.
- Set aside.
- Cake: In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients, blending at low speed until moistened.
- Beat 3 minutes at medium speed and then pour batter into greased and flour 12 cup Bundt Pan.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of coconut filling over the chocolate batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 55-65 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool 10-15 minutes in pan, then turn out onto serving plate or rack to cool completely.
- Top with vanilla or chocolate glaze.
I made this as a birthday cake and it was just right as the macaroon made it more festive than a normal chocolate cake. I did as suggested by some reviews and put the coconut filling in the middle, but it rose to the top anyway!
Wonderful!! and disappeared quickly. The whole family loved it! I added slivered almonds, about 1/2 cup, to the coconut filling, and followed the advice of 1/2 batter, filling, then rest of batter in the pan. Baked up beautifully. I topped with a white glaze, and the cake stayed moist for all of the 20 hours it stayed around.
This was a very delicious cake. Very easy to make. The only thing I would suggest is to pour half of the cake mixture, then the coconut filling, then pour the other half of the cake mixture on top of the coconut filling. The sweetness was just perfect. My kids and my kids just enjoyed eating it. Thak you for sharing this recipe.