Recipe by love4culinary
This is a yummy Chocolate Layer Pie. Its a recipe I came up with through a recipe for a French Silk pie I make. :-) If you use oreos...PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU SCRAPE OUT ALL OF THE FILLING! Dont leave any filling on the cookie, because this will cause your crust to get funky and it will burn. :-) I do not suggest using oreos...rather just use plain chocolate cookie crumbs. :-)
Top Review by Bev
Love, this is a beautifully rich pie! So creamy and delicious! I did have a few questions while preparing. #1 the amount is not given for the vanilla, so I used about 1 tsp in the chocolate filling layer. #2 The amount was not given for the whipped topping. I must have used too much because when I added it to the pie shell, it almost filled it up, so I removed half and used it to top the chocolate filling layer with. :) I also didn't have enough german chocolate on hand, so used 2 oz. german chocolate, 2 oz semi-sweet, which worked out very nicely ;). Also, I wanted to mention, to cool the pie shell before filling with the whipped topping. Great pie, Love! Thanks for posting!
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely crushed chocolate cookies
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
Cream Cheese Layer
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipped topping, divided
Chocolate Filling Layer
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- chocolate shavings (to garnish)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cookie crumbs, 3 Tbs sugar and melted butter.
- Press firmly into 9 inch pie plate covering bottom and sides evenly.
- Bake at 350° F for 10 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, and 1 tbs milk in large bowl until smooth.
- Gently stir in 1/2 of the whipped topping.
- Spread on bottom of baked crust.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the 1/3 cup sugar and the cornstarch.
- Stir in the milk, chocolate, and 1 tablespoon butter.
- Cook on medium stirring constantly until thickened and bubbling.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 additional minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of mixture from pan.
- Gradually stir the 1 cup of mixture into egg yolks.
- Return mixture to saucepan; bring to boil.
- Cook, stirring constantly for 2 additional minutes.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Set pudding aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Turn pie filling into pie pan on top of the cream cheese layer.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set.
- Just before Serving spread remaining whipped toping over pudding layer, and garnish with shaved chocolate.