1/2 Photos of Chocolate Idiot Cake (Flourless Chocolate Cake)
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Cake Baker's Note:
This cake is extremely rich, and tastes like the most delicious, silkiest, most supremely-chocolate ganache you’ve ever had. As mentioned, it’s equally good a few days later, and only an idiot could possibly mess it up. You don’t need to use ScharffenBerger chocolate for this cake, but use a good one—you’ll appreciate it when you taste your first melt-in-your-mouth bite. Adapted from "Ready for Dessert" by David Lebovitz.
My Private Note
9 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).
- 2Butter a 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan* and dust it with cocoa powder, tapping out any excess. If you suspect your springform pan isn’t 100% water-tight, wrap the outside with aluminum foil, making sure it goes all the way up to the outer rim.
- 3Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler (or microwave), stirring occasionally, until smooth. Remove from heat.
- 4In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar, then whisk in the melted chocolate mixture until smooth.
- 5Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan and cover the top of the pan snugly with a sheet of foil. Put the springform pan into a larger baking pan, such as a roasting pan, and add enough hot water to the baking pan to come about halfway up to the outside of the cake pan.
- 6Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. You’ll know the cake is done when it feels just set, like quivering chocolate pudding. If you gently touch the center, your finger should come away clean.
- 7Lift the cake pan from the water bath and remove the foil. Let cake cool completely on a cooling rack.
- 8Serve thin wedges of this very rich cake at room temperature, with creme anglaise, ice cream, or whipped cream.
- 9Storage: This Chocolate Idiot Cake can be wrapped and chilled in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Idiot Cake (Flourless Chocolate Cake)
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 397.4
- Calories from Fat 299
- Total Fat 33.3 g
- Saturated Fat 20.1 g
- Cholesterol 135.6 mg
- Sodium 184.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 20.3 g
- Protein 6.9 g