Recipe by Manami
Found this on marthastewart.com and it is absolutely awesome! Took a teeny-tiny piece, my Dr was there, and he approved my taking a taste!!! Those Dr's are going to get fat and used to different things for their weekly meetings with the administrative staff but they had better behave if not we'll relegate them to bread and water! Just kidding and who said bread was bad? What a lovely luxurious tart made of heavy cream, dark chocolate and almonds! 2 hours cooling time recommended.
- 3 tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest (optional) or 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces (no substituions)
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (we have used Valhrona & Ghirardelli)
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- MAKE DOUGH:.
- In a food processor, pulse almonds until finely ground.
- Add sugar, flour, zest (if desired), and salt; pulse until combined. Add butter, pulsing until coarse crumbs form with no large butter lumps (dough should clump together when squeezed with fingers).
- Immediately transfer dough to a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Using a measuring cup, evenly press dough in bottom and up sides of pan.
- Bake in center of oven until golden brown and firm to the touch, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- MAKE GANACHE:.
- Place chocolate in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring cream to a boil.
- Pour hot cream, through a sieve, over chocolate.
- Stir until smooth and creamy in texture.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Pour chocolate mixture into center of cooled tart shell (if chocolate is lumpy, pass through a sieve).
- Let stand until set, about 2 hours, or chill for 1 hour.