Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a recipe from Paula Deen that appeared on bakeorbreak.com when I was searching for a chocolate cake. I loved the idea of a chocolate cake with cream cheese in the batter! I substituted half the butter with vegetable oil just because I was running out of butter but it still turned out very rich. My 2 and 4 yr old boys were fighting over the crumbs it was so good!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease/spray a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and cocoa. Add about half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat well. Add remaining flour mixture and beat well for about 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into Bundt pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until done.
This is a truly amazing cake! I already have requests to make another one and I just made it for the first time a few days ago!
This is an excellent cake. I'm a big fan of pound cakes, especially those made with cream cheese. When making a chocolate cake I look for those recipes which contain at least 1/2 cup of cocoa. With 3/4 cup cocoa in this recipe, the cake is nice and chocolately yet not so much so that it masks the flavor of the cream cheese. It has great texture and unfortunately, it will only last 2 days at my home!
The cake is easy to make, light, moist and has great favor. I had to bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes. This is my first chocolate pound cake, and I love it. I did make a few changes to make sure the cake was not too dense and dry. I added all 6 eggs at one time. After I measured...I sifted the cake flour, baking powder and cocoa together. I was careful not to over mix when adding the flour mixture. I am testing cakes for the holidays...I will be making this one.