This is absolutely delish! Regular caramels don't stand a chance! I got this from Southern Living. My changes are in parentheses. Time does not include candy standing or chilling. I've been told these taste like Riesen chocolate covered caramels. :)
- Over medium heat, bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a saucepan; cook for 7 minutes, without stirring.
- Stir in condensed milk, and bring back to boil. Cook, stirring constantly until a candy thermometer reaches 245.
- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.
- Pour into lightly greased 8x8 greased baking dish.
- Let stand 8 hours at room temperature.
- Cut caramel into 1/2 inch squares. If you like, you can shape into balls. (I skipped the shaping).
- Melt chocolate and shortening or paraffin in saucepan over medium heat. (I melted mine in the microwave for about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds). Remove from heat.
- Dip balls into melted chocolate mixture; place on greased sheet. Chill 8 hours.
This is exactly the receipe I was looking for. I already have a carmel receipe that I had used but thought I would cover them with chocolate and was looking to see if I should use parafin or not.. Your receipe answered my question and everything turned out great. Thank you for posting the receipe..
I made a half recipe since I was making a ton of other goodies; should have made the whole batch!! Made as directed and the were so good! I really like the caramel on their own as well (I prefer caramel over chocolate). Made for PRMR.
Really good. I was looking for a recipe that was a little gooey'er when set. Any sugestions? Also I added some really nice sea salt after i diped in the chocolate and they were great!