1/2 Photos of Chocolate Covered Caramels
This is absolutely delish! Regular caramels don't stand a chance! I got this from Southern Living. My changes are in parentheses. Time does not include candy standing or chilling. I've been told these taste like Riesen chocolate covered caramels. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Over medium heat, bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a saucepan; cook for 7 minutes, without stirring.
- 2Stir in condensed milk, and bring back to boil. Cook, stirring constantly until a candy thermometer reaches 245.
- 3Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.
- 4Pour into lightly greased 8x8 greased baking dish.
- 5Let stand 8 hours at room temperature.
- 6Cut caramel into 1/2 inch squares. If you like, you can shape into balls. (I skipped the shaping).
- 7Melt chocolate and shortening or paraffin in saucepan over medium heat. (I melted mine in the microwave for about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds). Remove from heat.
- 8Dip balls into melted chocolate mixture; place on greased sheet. Chill 8 hours.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Covered Caramels
Serving Size: 1 (26 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 60
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 114.4
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 10.3 mg
- Sodium 44.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 0.8 g