1/2 Photos of Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake
This recipe is for the person with a serious sweet tooth-- included are variations for different gooey butter cakes. Recipe from Paula Deen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well. Pat into the bottom of prepared pan and set aside.
- 2Still using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth; add eggs and vanilla. Dump in confectioners' sugar and beat well. Reduce speed of mixer and slowly pour in butter. Mix well.
- 3Pour filling onto cake mixture and spread evenly. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts on top of filling. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Don't be afraid to make a judgment call on the cooking time, because oven temperatures can vary. You want the center to be a little gooey, so don't bake it past that point! Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares.
- 4*Variations: Pumpkin Gooey: For the cake part, use a spice cake mix or a basic yellow cake mix. Follow the original recipe, adding a 15-ounce can of pumpkin pie filling and an extra egg to the cream cheese filling. Bake as usual, remove from oven, and allow to cool. Cut into squares and top each square with a pecan half. Serve with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
- 5Peanut Butter Gooey: Use a chocolate cake mix. Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter and an extra egg to cream cheese filling. You can sprinkle the top of batter with 1 cup chopped peanuts if you like. Proceed as directed above.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 620.1
- Calories from Fat 290
- Total Fat 32.2 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 108.8 mg
- Sodium 499.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 64.0 g
- Protein 5.3 g