Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake - Murdoch Perk
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
1 11 x 13 pan
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 4 eggs, large, divided
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 lb powdered sugar, divided
- Preheat oven to 350. Coat an 11 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer until creamy. Add 2 eggs, one at a time, and mix to blend. Add flour mixture in three additions until well combined, but do not overbeat. Gently stir in 2 cups chocolate chips. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat cream cheese with clean beaters until fluffy. Set aside 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Gradually add the remaining powdered sugar to the cream cheese, then beat in the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla and the remaining 2 eggs. Beat until smooth. Stir in the remaining 1 cup chocolate chips. Pour filling over batter in prepared pan. Dust the top with the reserved 1/4 cup powdered sugar.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until the edges brown. The center should be slightly wiggly.
- Let cook on a wire rack to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 6 hours before cutting and serving.
- Preparation and cooking time does not include cooking and refrigeration times.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!