Recipe by Pets'R'us
A lovely dark, moist cake. The frosting is creamy and refreshing and is nice on other cakes too. It’s a recipe from Judith Olney.
Top Review by chia
delicious chocolate cake, though i am such a messy baker that my white kitchen was a lovely shade of cocoa by the time i was done, and so was i :). my only problem was with the frosting, i don't think i beat my cream long enough, as the consistancy was a bit loose for frosting. but the taste was great, and a good way to use up extra buttermilk.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup icing sugar or 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted after measuring
- 1 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 10-inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and the sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, continue beating until thick and light.
- Sieve together the cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and flour.
- With your mixer on low speed add the dry ingredients in 4 portions, alternating with the buttermilk and coffee, beat until all is very well blended.
- Pour the batter in the springform pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cake and let the cake cool completely whilst in the pan.
- Make the frosting just before you need it.
- Mix together the sour cream and the icing sugar, whip the cream until stiff, then mix the two creams together.
- Release the cake and turn it upside down on a platter.
- With a serrated knife cut the cake into layers (I use a piece of sewing thread to cut the cake).
- Spread frosting over one layer, carefully replace the other layer on the top and spread the rest of the frosting over the top and the sides.
- Leave in the fridge until ready to serve.