Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the Magnolia Bakery. Makes enough for one 9-inch two-layer cake or 2 dozen cupcakes.
Make and share this Chocolate Buttercream recipe from Food.com.
- Note: to melt the chocolate, place in a double boiler over simmering water on low heat for 5-10 minutes; stir occasionally until the chocolate is completely smooth and no pieces remain; remove from heat and let cool 5-15 minutes or until lukewarm.
- To make the buttercream: In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter using an electric mixer on MEDIUM speed for about 3 minutes or until creamy.
- Add the milk carefully and beat until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and beat well for 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and beat for 3 minutes.
- Gradually add in the sugar and beat on LOW speed until creamy and of desired consistency.
- **For icing a 3-layer cake use the following measurements: 2 cups unsalted butter, 3 tablespoons milk, 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 3 cups sifted powdered sugar.