Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a very moist & very fudgey cake. It tastes best the second day.
- 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 3⁄4 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sour milk (put 1 tbsp. of vinegar in 3/4 measuring cup, fill with skim milk)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream margarine with sugar and eggs.
- Mix in banana and vanilla.
- Mix flour with remaining dry ingredients.
- Add flour mixture to margarine mixture in 3 parts, alternately with sour milk.
- Begin and end with flour.
- Spread in 2 greased 8" cake pans.
- Bake in oven about 40 minutes.
- When cool, frost generously with chocolate butter frosting.
Delicious!! I only had about 1 cup of mashed banana, but this cake still turned out beautifully. Didn't put frosting on cake, ( a personal choice) as it was moist and tasty enough. Just had some next day for morning tea, stays really moist and fresh. Great recipe.
Really quite a lovely recipe. We made cupcakes instead of cake and baked them for 20 minutes at 350. My only other change was to use 1 cup buttermilk instead of 3/4 C. sour milk. Thank you for a great recipe.
DIVINE! I have made this a couple of times now and it is soooo good. I make a slab using a 9x13 and i don't ice it, just eat it as is (it's like a cakey brownie). Served this evening with some vanilla ice cream and fresh strawberries, ohhh so heavenly! Thanks so much for posting this recipe :)