Recipe by Pinay0618
I L-O-V-E chipotle peppers! My "standard" pot roast recipe is getting a little boring - I'm so glad I found this one!
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1⁄4 cup lightly packed oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 lbs boneless pot roast, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 lb parsnips or 1 lb plantain, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
Directions See How It's Made
- Pulse the tomato juice, oregano, green onion, chipotle peppers, garlic, brown sugar and cumin in a blender until smooth. Pour over the beef roast and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight. Remove the beef from the marinade and pat dry using paper towels. Reserve the marinade remaining in the bowl.
- Preheat oven to 325˚F. Heat the oil in a large, ovenproof Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Brown the beef all over. Pour the reserved marinade over the beef. Cover and transfer to the oven. Roast, turning once, for 1 hour. Add the sweet potato and parsnips or plantains. Roast, covered, for 2 hours or until beef and vegetables are fork tender. Add the red pepper and roast, uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
- Transfer beef to a cutting board and tent with foil. Rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the vegetables to a serving bowl. Ladle the pan juices into a gravy boat or heat proof pitcher. Serve meat and vegetables with the pan juices on the side.
- For a thicker gravy, strain the juices into a pot set over medium heat. Stir together 2 tbsp each cornstarch and water until dissolved. Whisk into simmering juices and bring to a boil; cook, stirring, until thickened.