Recipe by dawnie2u
This excellent soup is full of flavor. The broth is outstanding. For a less spicy soup, omit the chipotles.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 6 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves, crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onions, divided use
- 4 garlic cloves, minced divided use
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 whole carrots, peeled and sliced
- 87 ounces chicken broth (6 14 1/2 ounce cans)
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh salsa
- 2 chipotle chiles, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided use
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, mix the ground beef, sausage, cornmeal, milk, egg, salt, pepper, oregano, and cumin.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Over medium high heat, saute 2 cups onions, 2 garlic cloves, celery for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, salsa, chipotle chiles and 1/4 cup fresh cilantro. Bring to a boil, and cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Combine ground beef, sausage, cornmeal, milk, egg, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, 1 cup onion, 2 cloves garlic, and 1/4 cup chopped cilantro.
- Shape into small meatballs and add to soup.
- Bring the soup to a boil and stir in the rice. Add carrots to soup.
- Cover and reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with more fresh cilantro right before serving.