Recipe by A Paper Spatula
An attempt to replicate a special at Bite in Chicago. Not quite but still pretty awesome.
- vegetable oil
- 1 small onion
- 4 poblano peppers, sliced into strips
- 4 ounces chipotle chiles in adobo
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 8 ounces chihuahua cheese
- fresh cilantro, to taste
- 16 ounces corn
- 12 small tortillas
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onions and peppers in oil until peppers are floppy.
- Dice 2 tomatoes and chipotle peppers, add with sauce and oregano, simmer
- Add tomato sauce and paste, simmer, the longer the better.
- Grate cheese, chop cilantro, toss together (preheat oven to 350ºF).
- Cut tortillas in half, rinse corn and set aside, slice 2 tomatoes and set aside.
- Layer in casserole dish: sauce, tortillas, cheese, sauce, corn, tortillas, cheese, sauce, corn, tortillas, sauce, cheese, arrange tomato slices on top.
- Bake covered for 30-40 min., uncover and back another 15-25, let cool.
- Top with sour cream and serve with Mexican rice and refried black beans.