Recipe by lik2fish
Chipotle Cashew Chicken with Brown Rice
Top Review by tara portee
The sweet from the honey and maple syrup, the spicy heat from the chipotle and the salty from the soy sauce made for a unique and tasty combo. I also liked the different textures of the rice,chicken and nuts. I do think the directions could use a little clarification. In the ingredients, onion is listed, but in the instructions onions are never called for. However, peppers are called for in the instructions, but peppers are not listed in the ingredient list. After the addition of the broccoli and carrots, there seems to be no more cooking time indicated. What I ended up doing was removing the chicken at that point, covering the pan and cooking for an additional 10 minutes. I also think the dish could benefit from creating more sauce, I guess you wouldn't want to keep adding honey and maple syrup, but something to make it a little more saucy would be nice. I also reduced the chipotle by half, that was plenty spicy for me. Overall we enjoyed this meal and didn't have any leftovers!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, 1/4 onion finely chopped, 3/4 thinly sliced
- 2 cups quick-cooking brown rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs chicken tenders, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 -3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups frozen broccoli
- 1 cup frozen carrots
- 3 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo (2 peppers and their sauce)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 -3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup real maple syrup
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup raw cashews
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium pot over medium heat combine 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter.
- When butter melts into oil, add rice and cook 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and cover the pot.
- Raise heat to bring stock to a rapid boil.
- Once the stock boils, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, 17-18 minutes.
- While rice cooks, make the chicken.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat.
- Add vegetable oil; add the chicken pieces.
- Season the chicken with grill seasoning.
- Brown the chicken on both sides, season with soy sauce then move off to one side of the pan.
- Add the garlic and peppers.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes then add broccoli and carrots; mix vegetables and meat together.
- Add the chipotles and cumin. Toss to coat.
- Glaze the mixture with honey and maple syrup and turn off the heat.
- Add in the chopped cilantro and cashews.
- Top rice with cashew chicken and serve.