Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Mom's old notebooks
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- Slice steak thinly on the bias (this will be easier if you freeze the steak for 20-30 minutes first). Combine in a bowl with soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Let stand 10-15 minute.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet. Add beef and stir-fry quickly until meat loses its pink color. Remove from pan to a clean plate and set aside.
- Add onion, green pepper and garlic to fat remaining in skillet. Sauté until soft. Add mushrooms with their liquid.
- Stir cornstarch into a little bit of the beef broth until smooth. Add the slurry with the rest of the broth to the vegetables. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes. Return meat to pan and cook until hot all the way through.
VERY good. Reminds me of my mom's pepper steak. A keeper!