Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Chilled soups are good summer eating.
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced leek white, washed well and drained
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon curry powder (as per personal taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yellow squash, sliced thin
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon major greys chutney
- In a medium saucepan, cook leek in oil over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add curry powder and turmeric and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add garlic, squash and water and simmer, stirring occasionally, until squash is very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Cool mixture slightly and in a blender puree in batches until smooth, transferring to a bowl.
- Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Chill soup, covered, at least until cold, about 6 hours, and up to 1 day (after that, it will lose its fresh taste).
- Before serving, season with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Serve soup with dollops of sour cream and chutney.
I thought I would really enjoy this. The soup itself was bland and had little real flavor apart from the added chutney and the depth from the sour cream. Maybe if it were made with stock or broth rather than water and a increasing the aromatics? *Made for ZWT*
i had this with a half a sandwich for lunch yesterday & it was a nice addition. i would have liked a bolder flavor..if i were to make it again i'd probably try adding a bit more of the curry powder. made for zwt4.
This is a mild-tasting soup that does need a good dose of salt & pepper before serving! I substituted a combo of non-fat yogurt & cornstarch for the sour cream (1 cup yogurt to 1 tablespoon cornstarch), & actually used 2 tablespoons of that in one bowl of soup, along with the chutney! I then made up my own curry powder with cumin, ginger, turmeric, coriander, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon & dry mustard! Very, very nice cold soup for the summer evenings! [Made, reviewed & photographed as part of the 2nd Africa challenge 'Spice It Up' while touring that continent during the Zaar World Tour 4]