Chilled Red & Yellow Pepper Soup With Avocado Salsa
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 roasted yellow peppers, rinsed (from a jar)
- 2 roasted red peppers, rinsed (from a jar)
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 small avocado, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- For the soup: In a medium nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; add onion and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, bring to a boil, and simmer for 3 minutes; transfer to a medium bowl to cool.
- Place half of the cooled broth mixture in a blender (make sure to get an equal amount of liquid and onions); add yellow peppers and 1⁄2 cup of the yogurt; purée until smooth.
- Transfer yellow pepper purée to a covered container and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Rinse blender and transfer remaining broth mixture to it. Add red peppers and remaining 1⁄2 cup yogurt; purée until smooth.
- Transfer red pepper purée to another covered container and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- For the salsa: While soups are chilling, in a small bowl combine avocado, cilantro, and lime juice.
- To serve the soup, simultaneously ladle a generous 1⁄2 cup of the yellow pepper soup and a generous 1⁄2 cup of the red pepper soup into each of 4 shallow bowls, allowing soups to meet in center. Garnish each with salsa and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!