Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe comes from my MIL. It is really the only chili I like. Great for those cold days you need to warm your insides. This is not a spicy chili prepared as written, but you can increase the heat by adding some or all of the cayenne pepper that is included in the seasoning kit. Prep time includes time to quick soak beans. ****Please note that you will need a package of Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Brand Chili Kit (one kit is enough to make 2 batches of chili). The ingredient was not recognized, and was therefore not included with the ingredients.****
- 1 lb dried kidney beans, rinsed and sorted
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- salt, to taste
- masa corn flour, from chili kit
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Presoak kidney beans according to package directions.
- Drain beans, add cover with 6-8 cups fresh water.
- Brown ground beef with onion and celery.
- Add to beans along with 1/2 the contents of the seasoning packet from the Carroll Shelby's chili kit mentioned in the intro, and tomato paste.
- Bring beans to a simmer, and continue to simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for an additional 1/2 hour.
- If you need to thicken the chili, mix the masa flour with enough cold water to make a paste, and add a little at a time to your chili until desired thickness is reached.
- You can also add cayenne pepper to spice it up at this point.
- Serve with cheddar cheese, if desired.