Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Taste of Home.
Make and share this Chili Stuffed Bell Peppers recipe from Food.com.
- 6 medium green peppers
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds.
- Place peppers in a large kettle and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook until crisp-tender; about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a large skillet; cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add beans, tomatoes, chili powder, salt if desired, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spoon meat mixture into peppers; place in an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
WE loved these!! Different than the traditiona for a change. I only used 2 peppers (for my husband and I) because my kids hate peppers. I also used 2 cans of chili beans because we like it that way. So, for the left over chili, we ate for left overs. Really good for being fast and easy.
Excellent recipe. I had to use ground turkey so added some olive oil to brown the meat and onions, since ground turkey has no fat and hard to brown without some oil.Salt substitute was also used. I will definitely make again. This can be a make ahead recipe also except for the cheese.