Simple Beans and Rice Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Ready In:
- 2 large red peppers or 3 medium red peppers
- 1 (198 g) package black bean and rice mix (such as Zatarain's)
- 2⁄3 cup old cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- Prepare beans and rice according to package directions. Let stand until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and dry peppers. Slice off the stem end and remove membrane and seeds.
- Stuff each pepper halfway with beans and rice, sprinkle in 1/4 of the cheese, fill to the top with beans and rice and sprinkle in another 1/4 of the cheese. Press with the back of a spoon as you fill to compact. Replace the stem ends onto the peppers.
- Stand up in an ovenproof baking dish and spoon tomato soup over. Do not reconstitute the soup.
- Bake for 40 - 50 minutes, until peppers are tender.
- Note: Not a big deal if the peppers won't stand up. Use a couple of toothpicks to hold the stem "lid" in place.
- Prep time doesn't include time to make the beans and rice - 25 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I was born in a small Canadian prairie town but was raised in the city. Country living appeals to me more and more and now I think I have the best of both worlds, living just outside the city but within a 30 minute drive from downtown. I enjoy the wildlife I see out my kitchen window and my vegetable and flower gardens in the summer. And I love cooking with the produce from my garden, although there always seems to be too much at once. Learning to can became a necessity with all those beautiful vegetables and I now really enjoy making pickles, relish, salsa, jams and whatever else strikes my fancy. I have 2 teenage sons and cooking to suit everyone's taste is always a challenge. Recipezaar has certainly made life easier in that regard, with so many great recipes to choose from. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/KiwiDutch/3chefstag1.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/TasteofYellow.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Derfcookathon.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/personal/FRENCH-foodfun.jpg"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/holidaylightssticker.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/photo-swap-7sticky.jpg"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/SoupsandsaladSTICKER.jpg"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/PotLuckSTICKER.jpg"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/237330/CameraLesschef-STICKER.jpg"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/237330/TEXMEXstickr.jpg"> <img src="http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s124/Cookin-jo/banners%20and%20stickers/piggysticker.jpg">