Hearty Stuffed Bell Peppers
A few shortcuts make this classic easy.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 3mins
- 12 green bell peppers
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice off the stem end of peppers and reserve for another use.
- Remove the seeds and membranes from the peppers and rinse peppers inside and out.
- To parboil, use the microwave as follows.
- Place 4 peppers at a time face down on a dinner plate, cover with a microwave cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining peppers.
- Place peppers face up in a baking dish just large enough to accommodate all 12 peppers.
- Meanwhile, brown ground beef in a large skillet with onion and garlic.
- Drain off fat.
- Add rice, half of tomato sauce, salt, and pepper; stir and heat until well combined.
- Quickly stir in the cheese.
- Fill each pepper with the beef mixture.
- Pour the remaining tomato sauce evenly over the peppers and cover the baking dish tightly.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- These may be frozen.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation