A quick, easy and healthy gift idea for those blustery Winter days. A very hearty soup that's full of taste, yet low calorie and full of fiber. A good base soup mix that lends itself to other variations, which I have listed. Or create your own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
DRY SOUP MIX
- 1/4 cup dried split peas (I used green)
- 1/4 cup red lentil (can use yellow or brown ones)
- 1/4 cup orzo pasta (I used multi-colored orzo)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium beef bouillon powder
- 2 tablespoons pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons dried chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar or 1/2 teaspoon Splenda granular (not packets)
- 1NOTE: Ingredients do not contain salt, which allows recipient to salt to taste.
- 2Mix all dry ingredients together and pour into a sealable jar or plastic bag.
- 3Enclose Cooking Instructions (see below).
- 4Slip into a decorative celophane bag and attach a bow.
- 5Give as a hostess gift or add to a gift basket.
- 6COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.
- 7Add Dry Package Mix and tomatoes with green chilis.
- 8Stir and cook for 35-45 minutes, or until lentils and barley are tender.
- 9While soup is cooking, brown ground beef in a hot skillet until no longer pink, breaking up beef as you brown it.
- 10Pour beef into a colander and rinse under hot water.
- 11Drain well.
- 12Add to soup mixture.
- 13Add chili beans and continue to cook until beans are hot.
- 14Taste for seasonings, adding a little salt if needed.
- 15TO SERVE: Ladle into large bowls and serve with crackers, cornbread, or toasted sourdough bread.
- 16OPTIONAL GARNISHES: Top each serving with any or all of the following: grated cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, chopped pickled jalapenos.
- 17VARIATIONS: (1) You can add or substitute (for the chili beans), any of the following: canned black beans, great northern beans, navy beans, kidney beans, or corn.
- 18You may need to add an additional cup or 2 of water.
- 19(2) Bulk sausage (beef or venison) can be substituted for the lean ground beef.
- 20NOTE: If you use plain canned tomatoes instead of tomatoes with green chilis, you will need to add a can chopped green chilies, or about 1/8-1/4 tsp.
- 21crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to compensate for the heat nd flavor or the tomato/green chili mixture.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili-Rice Soup Gift Mix
Serving Size: 1 (383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.4
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 18.5 mg
- Sodium 40.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: