Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have made these many times, they are always a big hit. Make certain to place them in a single layer on the baking sheet. Use rice vinegar only for this, and if you can make certain to prepare the sauce early to reduce the vinegar smell that might linger from the rice vinegar, it's powerful stuff lol!. I most always double the chili sauce glaze, even for 2 pounds of wings, but that is optional. Plan ahead the wings need to marinate for 24 hours. The complete recipe may be doubled to 4 pounds of wings. Cooking time includes baking the wings and cooking the glaze. You can purchase chili-garlic sauce in the Asian section of any major supermarket.
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- salt (optional)
CHILI GLAZE SAUCE
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- hot cooked white rice
- 4 -6 green onions, chopped
- Cut each chicken wing in half at the joint.
- In a bowl mix together peanut oil, soy sauce, 2 tablespoons minced garlic, 2 tablespoons ginger and about 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper.
- Add in the chicken wings and turn to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours, turning 3 or more times to coat.
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Transfer the chicken wings in a single layer on a baking sheet and season with a small amount of salt if desired.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan combine rice vinegar, sugar, water, chili-garlic sauce, about 2 teaspoons minced garlic and about 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the glaze thickens to a syrup consistency (about 20-22 minutes).
- Transfer the baked chicken wings to a large bowl.
- Pour the glaze over the wings in the bowl; toss to coat, then place the wings with sauce over white rice and sprinkle with chopped green onions.