Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a smokey, spicy recipe I derived from an old recipe in Better Homes and Gardens. You can reduce the chipotles if you don't like spicy food, but Don't omit them, as they add most of the smokey flavour. Weight Watchers: 4 points/serving
- 14 fluid ounces red kidney beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 fluid ounces chipotle peppers, in sauce, chopped (about 1/4 of an 8 oz can, or 2 peppers)
- 1⁄4 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 28 fluid ounces diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef or 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- Heat oil in dutch oven on medium heat. Add onion, peppers, garlic and saute for approx 5 minute Add mushrooms, saute 2 minutes.
- Add meat and brown, breaking up meat and stirring constantly. Add tomatoes and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Simmer 2 hours or more, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf and cloves. Add beans and heat thoroughly.
Very nice chili! I used ground turkey, and the only change I made was to increase the salt. Personal preference, I just don't like spicy with few salt :) The friend who stayed for dinner doesn't like much salt and he was perfectly happy with the original amount. Thanks for sharing a tasty, healthy recipe!
Made for Bargain Basement.