Recipe by Alex MacKenzie
Perfect for a Chili cook-off or just proving to your friends that "All chili was not created equal."
Top Review by karen in tbay
We are entering a chili cook-off at the local KOA campground for the first time and have been experimenting with different recipes with a twist. This recipe meets the criteria but we were hesitant as it was so different with the chocolate and no tomato taste!! It turned out very thick and not at all spicy (we deseeded our peppers and didn't have a habanero so we used a banana pepper) but it won us over. In fact our youngest picked this recipe out of the three we tried - one was vegetarian and the other used chicken. We also added the leftover to 375620 to make that recipe a meat chili.
- 16 ounces black beans
- 16 ounces pinto beans
- 16 ounces black-eyed peas
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef (ground or shredded)
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 1⁄2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 habanero pepper, diced finely
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 anaheim chili, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- In crock pot mix black beans, pinto beans, and black-eyed peas.
- Begin to heat crock pot on a medium setting.
- In a large saute pan brown beef and sausage.
- Add cayenne, chili powder, cumin, ground coriander, salt, and beer.
- Add meat mixture to crock pot; bring to a low simmer; stir in chocolate.
- Add garlic, onion, and diced peppers.
- Cook for an additional 15 to 30 minutes or until vegtables reach desired consistency; I prefer a little al dente.
- Serve with desired toppings (crackers, cheddar, etc.).