With a picture! A delicious, easy, stovetop vegetarian Indian curry that makes a yummy lunch! Based on a recipe I got from MrCurrys.com with a sample of their wonderful curry seasoning powder.
- Saute onions in olive oil for 3 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic and curry powder (I use about 3 teaspoon for medium-spicy), stir and cook for another minute or so.
- Add chickpeas and salt and a tablespoon or so of water.
- Cook and stir about a minute.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring gently.
- Add another spoonful of water if it seems dry or if it's burning or sticking.
- Serve with flatbread and rice.
I loove chickpeas, and oh boy, this is a great way to fix them! I didn't change a thing in this recipe. I used 3 t curry powder, and it was just right. The fresh ginger is great with the chickpeas. It was so good and so quick, I will make it a lot! Thanks SaraFish!!
I made this for lunch today and enjoyed it. What I really like about this recipe, is that its so easy and so quick to make. Moreoever, it is tasty and can be enjoyed with rotis, rice and white bread as well. I had it with white bread. Next time, I'll make "Chitranna rice" (yellow rice with peanuts) and enjoy this dish with that. I also had some yogurt alongside with this curry. Thanks, good recipe!
I ended up using this as a base recipe for my final result; had other items in the fridge I wanted to use up, plus wanted to have leftovers for lunches later in the week. So I added a diced zucchini, some pre-cooked grilled chicken chunks, a few mushrooms, and some chili paste for some extra heat. Then I included a can of coconut milk because we like plenty of sauce to soak up the rice. I forgot the garlic, so would definitely add it next time, but the result was still good. It just needed a little more salt, no big deal really. My husband and I both thought this was yummy!