My sister got this recipe in Chiang Mai, Thailand when she was staying with some locals during her travels. It's one of my favorites. Thai basil tastes best in the recipe but fresh sweet basil is good too. And if you like your curry hot, use 1 TBSP of curry paste.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon massaman curry (or red curry paste)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 tomato, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped & loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- jasmine rice
- Heat oil in large saute pan on medium heat.
- Add curry, onion, garlic and briefly saute.
- Add coconut milk and soy and bring to boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chickpeas, tomato, basil & sugar.
- Bring back to simmer.
- Serve with jasmine rice.