Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a delicious chicken gumbo that my kids call YUMBO!
- 3 lbs skinless chicken thighs, fat trimmed
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup sifted flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups water
- 1 lb smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra
- 2 teaspoons file powder
- hot sauce, to taste
- 3 cups prepared long grain rice
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Heat oil in heavy 4 qt pot over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken in hot oil till golden brown and cooked thru. Remove chicken from pan and drain on paper towels.
- To prepare roux, turn heat to high, then add flour to very hot oil, stir constantly over high heat till flour is chocolate brown, about 3-5 minutes. Be very careful not to over cook roux.
- As roux reaches desired color, add onions, celery and bell peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add garlic, cayenne, oregano, basil, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Slowly add water, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Stir in chicken, sausage and okra. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. If meat falls from bones, remove skin and bones from pot. Add water as needed.
- Return gumbo to boil and stir in file powder. Stir vigorously to avoid lumps until file powder is dissolved. Adjust gumbo with salt and pepper and hot sauce if desired.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with green onions. For heat lovers, make Hot Sauce available on table.