Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
By Dennis Baker. From Fine Cooking Issue #17.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces (2 bone-in chicken breasts and 2 legs trimmed of excess fat)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup homemade chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons slivered black olives
- 3 anchovies, chopped and mashed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic, cook for 1 min., and then add the chicken. Cook, turning frequently, until the chicken is browned on all sides. Add the wine, vinegar, stock, oregano, and bay leaf. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer until the chicken feels firm and its juices run clear when pierced, about 30 minute Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Bring the broth to a gentle boil, skim the surface, and cook until the sauce has reduced by one-third. Stir in the olives and anchovies. Add the parsley, salt, and pepper. To serve, pour the sauce over the chicken.
I made this for ZWT 5 and loved it. Make sure you spoon the delicious sauce over the chicken when serving, very tasty!