Recipe by daisygrl64
Canadian Living Magazine Nov/03 Issue. Chicken is good partnered with tart fruits such as cranberries, especially in a well spiced sauce. Serve with rice or bread.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces, skinned
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 slices oranges, halved
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried mint
Directions See How It's Made
- in a ziplock bag, toss chicken with flour and coat well, reserve remaining flour.
- in a large nonstick skillet heat half of the olive oil over med-high heat. brown chicken, for about 10 minutes. transfer chicken to plate, pour off fat in pan.
- add remaining olive oil to pan, reduce heat to medium, add onions, garlic, coriander, cinnamon, black pepper, and hot pepper flakes, cook stirring occasionally until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- sprinkle in reserved flour, cook stirring for 1 minute.
- stir in cranberries, stock, orange juice, sugar and salt, bring to a boil.
- return chicken to pan, and arrange orange slices over chicken.
- reduce heat, cover and simmer occasionally spooning sauce over hicken until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- when done, sprinkle with mint.
- Optional: mix yogurt with mint and server over chicken for those who prefer less spiciness.