1/4 Photos of Chicken Vindaloo
Queen Dragon Mom's Note:
Any Red Dwarf fans out there will recognise this one.... A Kerala specialty, hot and spicy. Use prepared masala if you wish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs chicken, cut up
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 5 dried red chilies
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 cardamom seeds
- 2 teaspoons ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, diced
- 10 unsalted cashews, soaked to soften
- 10 raisins
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro leaf
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1Rub chicken with turmeric and set aside.
- 2Grind the next 6 ingredients, by hand or a spice grinder, until powdered (this is masala).
- 3Mix the masal with enough water to make a thick paste.
- 4Grind the cashews and raisins to a paste.
- 5In a wok, chow the onion until soft and browned.
- 6Reduce heat.
- 7Add the ginger and garlic, stir together until aroma is released.
- 8Add the masala paste, stir until the oil separates out of the mixture.
- 9Add the diced tomato, cook for about 2 minutes.
- 10Add the chicken to the wok, toss to coat.
- 11Add 1 1/2 cup of water, stir well, reduce heat further and cover.
- 12Simmer until chicken is done and tender.
- 13Stir in the cashew/raisin paste.
- 14Remove from heat, garnish with cilantro leaves.
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Vindaloo
Serving Size: 1 (521 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 381.3
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 103.5 mg
- Sodium 110.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 28.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: