Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this from some website long back. Serve over rice. Times are guesstimates
- 500 g boneless chicken, cut into pieces
- 240 g tomato puree
- 150 g sliced potatoes
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 5 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 10 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, cut into half rings
- 6 tablespoons water
- 8 -10 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Grind cumin seeds, black pepper, cardamom seeds, cinnamon, black mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds together in a grinder.
- In a small bowl, combine grounded spices, vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry onions, stirring frequently, until they are a rich, dark brown. Remove onions and put them in a blender. Add 3 tablespoons water to the onions and blend until you have a smooth paste. Add this onion paste to the spices in the bowl. This mixture is the vindaloo paste.
- Put the ginger and garlic in a blender. Add 3 tablespoons water and blend until you have a smooth paste.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan over medium heat.
- When hot, add the ginger-garlic paste. Stir until the paste browns slightly. Add the coriander and turmeric. Stir a few seconds.
- Add the chicken, and brown lightly.
- Now add the vindaloo paste, tomato puree and potatoes to the chicken in the pan. Stir and bring to a slight boil.
- Cover the pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about an hour, or until Chicken and potatoes are tender.