Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 4 ounces onions, diced
- 4 ounces carrots, diced
- 4 ounces celery, diced
- 4 ounces bell peppers, diced (or any combination of above vegetables to make a total of 16 ounces)
- 3⁄4 gallon chicken stock
- 12 ounces stewed tomatoes (chef tomato)
- 8 ounces picante sauce
- 6 ounces taco seasoning (we use Lawry's)
- 8 ounces corn tortillas, shredded
- 8 ounces chicken breasts, poached & diced
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese spread
- 10 ounces milk
- Saute carrots, celery, onion and bell pepper in butter until tender.
- Add chicken stock and bring to boil.
- Add tomato, picante sauce, taco seasoning, chicken and corn tortillas.
- Let combined ingredients boil until corn tortillas are incorporated into soup.
- Reduce heat and add cheese. Simmer for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and mixed well into the soup.
- Add milk and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- If thicker soup is desired, add more corn tortillas.
- Note: Any pasteurized cheddar cheese will be an appropriate substitute if unable to find a quality cheddar cheese spread.
I made this for a resturant I work at and it was a hit with the employees and sold well to. Very tasty soup.