Recipe by Little Remy
Best served with all of the 'Fixings' in side bowls so everyone can pick what goes in their soup. Recipe accredited to: Martha Stewart.com
- 4 skinless chicken thighs
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth (homemade preferred, but canned will work)
- 1 jalapeno, diced (with seeds for more heat)
- 6 corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 large scallions, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro stem
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large pot, bring chicken, broth, jalapeno, and 8 cups of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.Transfer chicken to a plate; let cool.
- Brush both sides of tortillas with oil, stacking them as you go. Cut stack in half, and then slice crosswise into 1/2-inch strips. Place strips on a rimmed baking sheet; bake, tossing strips occasionally, until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using a large spoon, skim fat from surface of broth in pot, and strain liquid through a sieve into a clean pot (you should have about 8 cups). Shred chicken with a fork or with your fingers, and return it to the pot. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt. Divide soup among serving bowls, and add tortilla strips. Garnish as desired.