Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Straight-forward, non-fussy, you've got these ingredients in the house! And it's soooo good.
- 1⁄2 large purple onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 -3 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- grated cheddar cheese
- hot sauce
- In soup pot, melt butter. Add onion and garlic, saute gently 5 minutes.
- Add corn, tomatoes, chicken stock, cumin, chicken and tortilla chips.
- Heat, stirring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching on the bottom.
- Simmer 20 to 30 minutes.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls; top with a mound of shredded cheddar cheese, dribble hot sauce over (for those who like it spicier.).
This soup is Delicious & very easy to make. I had everything on hand, didn't use the butter just sprayed the soup pot with EVOO & sauted the onion & garlic,used homemade chicken stock & chicken that I had cooked & frozen. I used a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes the green chiles added a nice flavor so we didn't need the hot sauce. The grated cheddar cheese was a good addition to the soup. Vivian, I will be making this often as we loved it!
This soup is so good! I made it exactly as posted but skipped the hot sauce garnish. I will be making this again. Made for Alphabet Soup Game. Thanks for posting ViR!
This soup was GREAT. It was easy to put together. I didn't have canned corn, so I used frozen, cooked. I also would add a can of green chiles next time. My family likes things a big spicy. Thanks VR! This is a keeper.