Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
My version using stuffing instead of bread crumbs or croutons and added vegetables. My family really liked it. If you use ham, reduce the salt.
- 3 -4 cups cooked chicken, chopped (or a mixture of both) or 3 -4 cups ham (or a mixture of both)
- 1 (8 ounce) bag seasoned stuffing mix
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded (or slices, chopped)
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 -12 ounces frozen broccoli, thawed and precooked slightly or 8 -12 ounces mixed vegetables
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted & chopped (optional) or 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Mix all ingredients, except walnuts, in a large bowl.
- Spoon into a greased 2-quart (2.5 L) casserole and sprinkle with walnuts, if using.
- I sometimes mix all the ingredients except for the cheese and the broccoli and layer them in the casserole dish.
- Bake 40 minutes or until heated through.
I found it to be too dry, however I did make a few changes so that may be the problem! I used a can of cream of chicken soup, a full can of milk, a dollop of sour cream and added sliced, fresh mushrooms.
You can't go wrong with this! It's a cheesey comfort-food casserole that the whole family will love. I used the chicken, doubled the onions and used the optional almonds. The almonds were like the icing on the cake. I was thinking that rosemary would go nicely with the chicken version. I will make this again with chicken and ham together; that sounds so good. Thanx!
This was really good, however, it was a little rich for me. I didn't use as much chicken but used more broccoli (to get the family to eat vegetables). It's a nice comfort food for a chilly fall night. Thanks!