Recipe by Kathy(
It seems that everywhere I look lately, there are great quinoa recipes. This is one of them! The colors are vibrant, it's easy to make, and it tastes great! I've modified it slightly from the version in Prevention Magazine: (1) non-stick spray; (2) pre-grilled chicken; (3) an extra clove of garlic; (4) an extra jalapeno pepper; and (5) optional chicken broth and lime juice.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- cooking spray or 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (pre-grilled if you want to save time)
- 1 (200 g) onions, chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (188 g) red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup low-sodium low-fat chicken broth (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lime (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop up all the vegetables. But don't combine them, keep each separate.
- Combine water and quinoa in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until liquid has been absorbed. About 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the sweet potato into another small saucepan with enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and keep warm. I add them to the cooked quinoa, and cover the pot to keep warm.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan or wok over medium high heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray or use 2 teaspoons canola oil (or a little chicken broth). Add chicken and cook until it starts to brown, about 4 minutes (If using pre-cooked chicken, heat for just a minute or two). Remove to a bowl and keep warm.
- Return frying pan to heat and add more nonstick spray or another 2 teaspoons canola oil or chicken broth. Add onion and jalapeno pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 1 minute. Add bell pepper, garlic and cumin. Continue cooking until veggies soften, about 2-3 minutes. If desired, add 1/2 cup chicken broth to make the dish more moist.
- Stir in peas and chicken and cook 2 minutes.
- Add quinoa and sweet potato. Cook, stirring often, until heated through, 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro, salt, black pepper.
- Serve with a squeeze of lime juice if desired.